Absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong. This is a fresh install of Elementary OS.
- I installed the OS
- Made sure to install drivers during the OS installation
- Once the os was loaded I checked out the "Nvidia X Server Settings", unfortunately it was completely blank.
- Purged Nvidia
- Reinstalled (followed this guide, but installed
- On reboot the Nvidia X Server Settings show that I'm using discrete graphics, however there are no other options aside from switching back to integrated
- If I switch to integrated, reboot, then switch to discrete once more my system doesn't boot and shows me a black screen after the Elementary OS logo. This can only be fixed by running
sudo prime-select intelin the recovery shell.
What's happening? Is there any way to fix it? I know
nvidia-driver-440 works as I was using it on Pop_os just the other day on the same laptop.
Running nvidia-smi outputs this:
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.
My discrete card is a
NVIDIA Corporation GP108M [GeForce MX150] (rev a1), and it does appear under
Settings > About.
Any suggestions would be very appreciated.