I noticed that after upgrading from Loki to Juno my battery life was severally decreased. I have a Dell XPS 9550 with a NVIDI GeForce(R) GTX 960M.
- I've installed
- I've addded the nvidia graphics drivers ppa:
- I'm using nvidia-driver-...
- I've installed all the recent updates
- I've switched to
I noticed however when checking powertop Tunables, when running from battery the following item:
Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
I also noticed:
The battery reports a discharge rate of 20.9 W
When I switched the NVIDIA item from bad to good I got:
The battery reports a discharge rate of 12.4 W
Which is quite a significant drop.
I found this possible related question, but the issue seems solved and should have been back-ported to Ubuntu 18.04 already.
- Why would the NVIDIA card still use power even though I selected Intel?
- Is there a better way to disable it?
- Is there an easy way to make this powertop tune permanent?