Trying to install Loki (aka elementary 0.4) on a mac mini. The experience is proving rather less straightforward than the installation instructions.
The machine is a mac mini (
Macmini4,1 - mid 2010) running OSX El Capitan (10.11.3). I want to dual boot osx & loki.
Steps so far:
- Shrunk the main partition (
Macintosh HD), creating 80GB unformatted space
- Tried to install rEFInd. It stopped with warning that System Integrity Protection was on, so install not recommended. Tried again from the recovery partition (as advised), same result. So didn't install.
- Booted loki into 'try it out' mode from USB drive anyway by holding down
- Launched installer. However, it doesn't detect the osx installation. So only choices are clean install or manual partition.
I'm not averse to manual partitioning, but process so far doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Any advice appreciated. For example:
- Do I need rEFInd? Strange that it's not mentioned in the official docs.
- Any reason why the installer isn't seeing the OSX partition (does it need rEFInd installed first?)
- If I have to manually partition, what's required? Is it as simple as a single root partition + swap @2*RAM?
If I do it manually, should the bootloader go on