Absolute beginner for everything regarding Linux here. I wanted to try it on an old laptop to see if I liked it before putting it on my actual computer but I had some issues.
I tried to install Elementary several times on my computer but it does not seem to work. When I reboot my pc, it launch, but from the USB drive, not from the computer. Here's what I did:
- I formatted the computer, so Windows was basically a clean slate of nothing.
- I set up my USB drive using Rufus and dowloading Elementary from the original website.
- I went into the BiOs to change the order and put the USB as the primary source to boot.
- Computer turn on, I installed Elementary, told me that the changes would not be taken into account until I reset the computer, so I did...
- ... but when it turns on again, it boots from the USB drive. I tried turning it off and on again without the USB drive and it told me there was no BiOs on the computer, which make sense since I deleted windows when I first install Elementary (on purpose, I just want Linux on that computer).
- I tried to reinstall it, and to take off the USB before rebooting, but it displayed a black screen with a lot of error.
So. Not sure what I can do from now on. It works with the USB I guess, but I did not try to install anything so I'm not sure if it will keep any change I make if I turn it off?