I am admittedly relatively inexperienced in Linux so maybe I am missing something. I have gotten the wifi to work on my laptop (an HP Pavillion DM4 Beats edition) and it connects fine to something I have a password for, like my personal wifi, but when I try to connect to a WiFi hotspot it fails. I have tried this with Xfinity, Starbucks, and Books a Million ones so it is not just one provider causing trouble.
I tried a few suggested fixes found via internet searches, but the mostly didn't apply or were old enough to be no longer valid.
I did try installing net-tools and basic update of things per instructions I found online, but I can't seem to find a fix for this.